It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...




Christmas in July, that is! I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin' for their annual Christmas in July Sale.
For the next 4 days, my entre store is 20% off!
(Shhh...my word work bundle was already on sale so that's an additional 20% off!)
To check out my store, click on the link below!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Jana-Guerra-We-Heart-1st

Back in December, Ashley and I had visions of sugarplums of starting our teacher blog. I really wanted to blog about my absolute FAVORITE Christmas craftivity and bulletin board display, but sadly, there was no blog. Sooooo... since we're celebrating Christmas around here, and we happen have this little blog, I thought I'd share!
I give you... Winter Wonderland. (Sorry the lightning in our hallway is terrible.)


We turned this into little math/social studies lesson. For the social studies part, we discussed what you would find in a community: businesses, homes, parks. schools, etc. We also listed activities that people do in the winter/holiday time (not easy since we live in Texas, but they came up with some good ones.)

 Here they are sledding, skiing, making snow angels, and singing Christmas carols.
Those snow angels kill me. So darn CUTE!
Yes, these are pics of my kiddos. They brought in "winter" outerwear one day because it's not that cold here. I had them pose and then printed out small pics.
They turned out so sweet. I just cut out little pieces of construction paper for the sleds and skis.
 Next we have our ice skaters, snowman builders, and our shoppers.
(That's my co-teacher and me having a blast as we leave the candy shop!)
For the ice skaters, I printed out little ice skate clip art.
 And, of course, we had to have a snowball fight!
 Finally we have some kids skiing and choosing Christmas tress. If you live in Texas, you KNOW we had to have our favorite grocery store: HEB! And seriously, how precious is that church?



Okay, so now to HOW. We started by brainstorming the buildings that we would need in our community, and then I gave the kids measurements for each building. This is the math part. It worked out perfectly because we were right in the middle of our measurement unit.

 This is the fire station. You can see the measurements and the ruler because this is serious business! The kids had to sketch their idea before they were able to start with the  construction paper.
I also told them everything needed to be cut out. I mean...it's cuter, right? Plus, once it was all finished they were able to use my SUPER-SPECIAL oil pastels to add details like Christmas lights or menorahs in the window. This is quite the privilege (because they are smeary and you must be very mature to use them), so they were super-excited about this part!
 I kept having to say, "Less is more, people. LESS IS MORE."
Sorry I don't have a pic of that part, but you can see the details in the final product pics.


There you have it! So fun! Thanks for stopping in! Let me know if you have any questions about this project. Be sure to check out my sale and hop on over to Blog Hoppin' for the rest of the Christmas in July deals!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Jana-Guerra-We-Heart-1st

http://imbloghoppin.blogspot.com/


QuickEdit
We Heart Teaching
0 Comments
Share :

No comments:

Post a Comment